- HSP Group, a Tampa provider of global expansion software and services for companies seeking to expand overseas, on raising a $14M Series B round led by ABS Capital with participation from existing investor Baird Capital.
- Ostro (formerly known as RxDefine), a Miami healthtech startup developing digitally-enabled tools for healthcare brands and providers that all have the ultimate goal of improving patient outcomes, on raising a $45M round from Founders Fund, Byers Capital, Caffeinated Capital, Greycroft, Bling Capital, Trust Ventures, and RRE Ventures.
- OneRail, an Orlando last-mile logistic startup, on raising a $33M Series B round co-led by Arsenal Growth Equity and Piva Capital.
- Third Wall, a Tampa software company providing an automated lockdown security plug-in for ConnectWise Automate users, on being acquired by ThreatLocker for an undisclosed amount.
- InCryo Systems, a Plant City provider of cryogenic products, on being acquired by VS Carbonics for an undisclosed amount.
- InsideOut, a St. Petersburg marketing technology startup, on being acquired for $7.5M by Harte Hanks (NASDAQ: HHS).
- Tim Cartwright, Chairman, Tamiami Angel Funds: 5 things startups need to know to woo investors.
- At Art Basel web3 events, experts make the case for crypto amid background of uncertainty.
- Synapse to award $75,000 contributed by Florida Power and Light (FPL) to the top three scoring startups at its sixth annual summit Feb. 14, 2023, at Amalie Arena in Tampa.
- Keith A. Grossman, president of Time magazine, joining Miami payments infrastructure startup MoonPay as president.
- Meghan O’Keefe, business development manager of the St. Petersburg Area Economic Development Corp named executive director of Tampa Bay Tech.
- In a show of energy, optimism and talent, 1,000+ turn out for Venture Miami Tech Hiring Fair at Miami Dade College.
- La Casa, produced for the second year by eMerge Americas, Florida Funders, and Carve Communications, drew hundreds of founders, investors, and community and business leaders to celebrate the wins (or commiserate the state of the economy), network and share knowledge.
- Larry Fink said stakeholder capitalism is not ‘woke,’ but Florida is dinging BlackRock anyway – will divest $2B in assets over its ESG policies – nevertheless, ESG investing expected to grow 84% over the next few years to nearly $34T, according to data from PwC.
- Miami nightclub owners mourn loss of ‘crypto nerds’ after FTX collapse – Andrea Vimercati, the director of food and beverage at Moxy Hotel: “They were ordering 12 or 24 bottles of the most expensive champagne and just showering themselves without even drinking.” [The crypto entrepreneurs] wanted to show that they didn’t have any limits.”
- Boca Raton’s Guident building safety software stack on top of autonomous vehicle software that will connect vehicle to a remote monitoring and control center – will help autonomous vehicles deal with difficult edge cases that software can not yet solve – raising seed capital.
- Miami Inno’s inaugural Fire Awards spotlighting companies and organizations setting South Florida’s innovation economy ablaze.
- Orlando area VC partners share their expectations for both venture funds and startups seeking to raise money in 2023.
Upcoming technology entrepreneurship events on our calendar:
- TECHpalooza 2022, Friday, all-day, Museum of Discovery and Science, Fort Lauderdale. Formerly ITpalooza. Agenda features VIP keynote sessions including “The Untold Story” with Rony Abovitz, founder of Magic Leap, live demos and interactive exhibits, 50 speakers, and 15 panel discussions in topics such as cybersecurity, AI/ML, Cloud Migration, EdTech, Digital Transformation, and Smart Cities.